As part of my long term progressive upgrade of my CYMA AKM replica I have just fitted the second replacement part to the AEG. This morning the posty brought me a real steel AKM rear leaf sight…
Above: The ‘new’ real steal AKM leaft sight (front) compared to the CYMA replica sight (back).
The item was bought from the UK online store Rusmilitary.com and cost £17. Compared to the original CYMA replica leaf sight the real thing is slightly longer and has a bare steel finish (apart from the adjustment bar). Being bare steel is was heavily greased and I am guessing there may be a issue with rust if I do not either keep it regularly greased or coat it with a protecting finish of flat black Krylon.
Of course at this rate it may take me the better part of a year to complete this upgrade, but the end result will be worth it and it keeps the cost to a manageable level (a full LCT kit would cost in the region of £300+). Next month I might think of replacing the wood furniture – I have two options, a nice LCT furniture kit or maybe some RS wood!
< Read part one of this upgrade project
I bit the bullet and forked out for a Laylax medium length barrel for my Type 89 AEG. This barrel knocks about 70mm off the standard barrel length to give you a carbine sized gun.
This is all part of my '89 upgrade program and will hopefully result in quite a unique and cool looking AEG. I know shortening the barrel is something of a retrograde, but I will off-set this by installing a tight inner barrel at the same time.
The barrel was sourced from Fire Support UK at £50 plus shipping.
Link: Laylax Type 89 medium outer barrel
Now I know I have done this all arse-about-face (having posted up part 2 of this upgrade video series), but I actually wasn’t going to publish these videos at all. In reality I made these videos so I could keep tabs on how I took the darn thing to bits so I could put it back together again!
Even though the production quality is quite low and I wasn’t working from a script I decided that it would be a shame to just bin this footage after I had finished the work and thought that they might be of some use to someone somewhere (maybe)!
So here’s part one of my Type 89 RIS upgrade. Please forgive the sound quality, my shaky camera work and my stuttering narrative (and the over use of ‘OK’)! LOL
Link to the next part in this series: Type 89 AEG – Laylax RIS upgrade – Part 2
Nothing is ever as straight forward as it seems. I finally managed to buy the lovely Laylax Nitro Rail Handguard for my BE Type 89 AEG this month and in true optimistic airsofter fashion I *thought* it would then be a simple job to fix this upgrade to my gun. Oh how wrong I was!
Above: Having to almost completely strip down your Type 89 is one of the first, of several, frustrating steps towards fixing the Lalax rail onto the AEG. Note all the small parts and myriad of screws, any of which could go missing during the process!
I really should have taken the hint when, as I reported on this blog last month, the UK airsoft retailer Fire Support refused to take on this upgrade as it turns out that this ‘little job’ is actually a bit of a nightmare.
Anyway, I eventually figured out a process whereby I could fix the gubbings together – the scant instructions on the Laylax packaging were in Japanese! – and I actually started the work this weekend. To give you an idea how tricky this ‘upgrade’ is, and hopefully this will be of a help to any other Type 89 owners thinking about this upgrade, I am making a series of quick and dirty’ how to’ videos following my work (by the way I say ‘upgrade’ because this is becoming more of a ‘mod’ really).
I will publish the full series of these videos on Milgeek when I have completed the work – but I thought I would post this one up just as a cautionary tale about taking on a job when a professional airsoft armoury turns it down! LOL
OH! And PS, top tip – NEVER undertake a job like this which involves tiny black screws in a modern kitchen that has a BLACK laminate floor. I spent quite a long time on my hands and knees trying to recover dropped bits!
Here’s a reminder what the upgrade should look like when it’s finished (just to keep MY spirits up)!
And finally, here’s a nice bit of footage showing the real Type 89 in action – note the inherent problem in changing the fire selector (a problem that was rectified during the Japanese deployment in Iraq by adding the ambidextrous fire selector, as I have with my AEG version)…